Low Cost, High Speed Internet

man smiling and using asl

Some people may find themselves unable to afford the full price of high-speed internet. 

For those who qualify, there are programs and packages available to provide high-speed internet at a lower cost. Some internet providers offer their own programs. Others participate in a government program called Lifeline. See below for more information about various types of programs.

Program Acronyms

SNAP: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
SSI: Supplement Security Income
NSLP: National School Lunch Program
CEP: Community Education Provision (part of NSLP)
HUD: Housing and Urban Development
TANF: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families

Additional Information

There are many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) throughout the United States. You may already be aware of which ones are in your area. If not, go to the Federal Communications Commission Website and insert your address.


Lifeline is a government program that provides subsidies for low-income families that need phone or internet service.

How it Works

If you qualify (qualifications do vary by state) — please check on the Universal Service Administration Website, and choose an ISP in your area that is participating in the Lifeline program and sign up. To see which internet providers in your area participate in this program, click here

The following are examples of internet providers that participate in the Lifeline program:

$9.25 per month to help pay your internet bill. You must choose assistance for either phone or internet when you sign up—you can’t receive both.

How to Qualify

You may qualify for Lifeline assistance if your income is 135% or less of the federal poverty guideline or if someone in your household participates in one of the following federal assistance programs:

  • Federal Public Housing Assistance
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Medicaid
  • Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit Program
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

You may also qualify if you, or someone in your household, participate in one of the following assistance programs:

  • You reside on Tribal lands and you participate in any of the above federal assistance programs; or
  • You, or someone in your household, participate in one of the following assistance programs:
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
  • Head Start (only households meeting the income qualifying standard)
  • Tribally-administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)